Saturday, July 12, 2008

Never take anything for granted

I have much to say on this topic. As a mom, wife, woman, even as a human being, I need to be constantly reminded that things may not always be as they seem. This was never more apparent to me as it was just two days ago. My 5 year old son, who is precious in every way, showed me again that I don't know as much as I thought I do.

From another room, one of my sons shouted, "Momma, what year was Joseph born?" My response was, "2002". Whichever son it was said, "I KNEW IT!" I am really not sure what caused this question to be asked.

A mere second later, Joseph comes flying into the room with his "Oh-my-gosh-I-just-discovered-something-AWESOME" look on his face and said, "Wait a minute! Was I born on October 27, 2002????"

I smiled at him and said "Yes you were!" He said to me, in his most surprised voice, "But, that's my birthday! I WAS BORN ON MY BIRTHDAY???"

After much laughter, I explained to him that EVERYONE was born on their birthday. He thought that was just really cool. I guess now we have two reasons to celebrate his birthday. One, because it is his birthday, and two, because he was BORN on that day!!! I loved the innocence of his question, and how he is just a totally unaffected child. He just wears all his thoughts and feelings right out there, and doesn't care, yet, if he looks silly. I love that about him.

The second thing I have learned I never should take for granted is this: I am not becoming my mother as I get older. I am more and more, as time goes on, turning into my father. Unexpected. Aren't women supposed to turn into their moms?

On the same day as the birthday incident, I had a discussion with my step-mom about how I am really hoping to buy a grain mill so that I can grind my own flour. As a non-prairie muffin, she had what some may consider an understandable reaction. She burst out laughing, and made comments about us "going off the grid". I wasn't offended. I know she loves me and supports me in everything I do. We had a good laugh together.

So, jokingly, I said "Hey, maybe we should just buy a huge grinding stone, put it in our back yard, tie the kids to it and have them run around in circles until they grind enough flour for us to make our bread!" We both agreed this would make for well-exercised children, and good eating!

Later that evening, Gayle was sharing this story with my dad. She got as far as telling him we want a grain mill, and he had a great idea. He said we should buy a huge grinding stone, put it in our back yard, tie the kids to it, and have them run around to grind our grain. According to Gayle, she sat there with her mouth hanging open. I can understand why!!

So, the moral of this blog posting is this: Don't take anything for granted. You may find that your son has no idea why he has a birthday every year, and that you are slowly but surely morphing into your father.

Really, this makes sense, though, doesn't it? Since I am soaked in testosterone all day, shouldn't I really be turning into a man any time now?? I guess my dad is a good one to turn into!

2 comments:

May D. Cember said...

I still think it would a good idea for "off the grid" living to get 4 bikes, hook them up to a power generator, and have the boys pedal to generate electricity for the family. If you end up with an electric mill, you may have to pedal for a few extra minutes everyday so you can have bread. This is when it would be convenient to have Lance Armstrong in the family.

Maybe your dad did a Vulcan mind meld with you in Branson last summer. Sharing his brain (it's a very BIG one) could get a little scary, but all in all there a bunch of sweetness there tooo...

Anonymous said...

Well, I know him and all I can say is you could certainly do worse. Oh, he said to tell you he misses the boys a lot.

Also, have you checked Ebay for grindstones?